Pages

Thursday 26 April 2018

Cafe Post: Dear Me


It's been a while since I've posted anything on here, and to be honest, I was a little nervous about coming back because I kept thinking I needed to properly explain why I've been absent.  I kept trying to write up a decent post but it was kind of stressing me out so I've decided to skip that all together and just come back in with a cafe post!   The explanation of my absence might come later, but it might not.  We'll see.

Anyway, as mentioned in this post , the cafe culture in South Korea is pretty much a national hobby which has been an absolute pleasure to keep up with.  If you're following me on Instagram (and if you're not, you should ;) ) you'll know that one of my favourite things to do on the weekends is to go try out different cafes with their beautifully presented and (generally) delicious menus.



Last weekend, my friend Marie (from Be Marie Korea) and I headed over to Dear Me in Mapo-gu for some cool and sweet relief from the beating sun.  Both of us had wanted to try out this place for a while and since we were in the vicinity after getting up early and checking out the Sky Park (하늘공원) inside World Cup Park, we decided to head over and finally check this one off the list.


It was a good thing we arrived after eating lunch because this place only opens at 1PM! And it closes at 7 PM!  Even so though, within 10 minutes of opening the place was completely full.  So I guess the owners know what they're doing.

Their menu is short and sweet (pun intended) with each cake looking like a piece of art.  There's only one of each cake on display but don't worry, there's plenty more in the kitchen.  They also have a small list of drinks to choose from including normal coffee selections but also some delicious looking fruit ades and juices.



Pictured above is one of their most popular cakes - the raspberry cheese mousse cake.  Super light and fluffy with quite an intense raspberry hit on the top, this small little treat packs a punch.  The mousse on the bottom isn't as strong as the raspberry but still holds its own and a steady flow of dark raspberry jam oozes out from the middle as you eat through the cake.



On the right is the mixed berry ade, a sparkling concoction of mixed berries, carbonated water and mint to bring the flavours together.  'Ade' in Korea is essentially the term for any carbonated fruit drink and it's probably one of my favourite things in this country.  This drink was no different - light, fizzy with good balance of fresh fruits and syrup to mix together.


My favourite was the grapefruit cheesecake - thin pieces of soft sponge layered with sweet whipped cream mixed with pieces of tart grapefruit.  And yes, that is a piece of gold leaf on top.  This place is fancy.


Prices aren't cheap here.  One piece of cake will set you back around 7,000 won and the ades are similarly priced.  General coffee like an Americano or a latte is slightly cheaper but you're paying for the ambience and the quality.

Location:





No comments:

Post a Comment